Bishop's Registers of
1857-1869, the Church (Chancel, Nave and Tower) was said to be in a dilapidated condition.
Buttresses to the north and south walls of the Chancel and Nave were
protection and strength.
In 1869 the Victorian
Frederick Preedy was commissioned to re-design the old medieval church.
It was rebuilt in 1870 using the
stone, leaving only the 14th century
perpendicular tower untouched.
Pew seats, the pulpit, reading desk and other fittings were removed and
refitted permitting accommodation for 120 people.
manufactured the stained glass windows in the sanctuary and painted the
panels either side of the reredos. The stained glass window
east end of the Chancel depicts: the Annunciation (N. division);
the Ascension and the Crucifixion, (mid-division) and
the visit of the Magi (S. division). The north window in the
chancel shows the Good Shepherd and the south window the raising of Lazarus. These windows are particularly fine
examples of Preedy' s work.
The painted zinc panels on either side of the reredos were badly affected by damp and were removed in the mid twentieth century. They were rediscovered in the tower and restored in 2007 through the hard work and dedication of previous churchwarden Roy Jones. The restored panels were rededicated by the Bishop of Hereford in March 2007. The restoration was funded by a number of donations and grants.
trade mark of an open
flower can to be found in many places in the Church, notably on the
the doors and crosses on the roof.
Churches on the Preedy Trail
Preedy was the architect for a number of
churches in Herefordshire and Worcestershire and as part of the restoration project we now have a very attractive leaflet
which highlights nine
churches in Herefordshire and Worcestershire (and refers to another five) where
stained glass and architecture can be seen.
leaflets are available in the church and from Information Centres and libraries round the
county. They can also be obtained from the churchwardens.
Preedy has also worked on
London and East Anglia, including Ely Cathedral..
project is grant aided by the Heritage Lottery Fund, Herefordshire
Churches Trust, The William & Mary Trust, a generous local
donor, and the
Friends of St David’s
Chancel south window "Surely he has born our griefs"
Door hinge with Preedy's trade mark open flower design.
Carving of an open flower on one of the pew ends.
Detail of font carving: Noah and the dove.
Detail of floral design on pulpit